Monday, August 29, 2011

"Whenthen" Disease

There has been a resurgence of an old disease. The consequences of this disease can be catastrophic! Symptoms often include lethargy, compliance, resignation, passivity and mild to extreme cases of procrastination.


It may seem odd, but sufferers of the “Whenthen” disease are easily recognizable by their speech patterns. The following examples will help you recognize sufferers and carriers of the “Whenthen” disease. Perhaps you will discover you have fallen victim to this debilitating disease!


“When the kids go back to school, then I will get organized.”

“When the weather gets cooler, then I will get on a exercise program.”

“When I get caught up on my bills, then I will get serious about saving money.”

“When the economy turns around, then I will be able to get a better job.”

“When my spouse changes their behavior toward me, then I will be happily married.”


By now you get the idea! Right? “Whenthen” isn’t a medical condition, but a mental attitude which can subtly take over your life and in turn determines your present and your future.


Think about it for a moment: How many years have the kids started school and your still unorganized? How many changes of seasons have you witnessed and still hope one more will motivate you to exercise? How often have you talked about getting caught up financially only to be at the same place struggling year after year? How frequently have you blamed the economy for your “dead-end” job? How often are you dependent on your spouse’s actions or attitudes as the source of your happiness in marriage?


As your reading this, you are probably thinking, “Wow, I’m glad there were only five examples!” Just because there were only five examples, doesn’t mean the “Whenthen” disease hasn’t crept into other areas of life. Honestly assess where and when you succumb to this disease. Remember, honesty is the best policy!


After the honest assessment, determine to get well by taking action. Even a small step is better than no step at all! Refuse yourself the option of wishing your life away; take action today.


In closing, a personal story that illustrates the price tag of not taking action. Frustrated by the rising costs of health insurance, I was determined to find another alternative. In February, I began the paperwork to switch to another type of coverage that reflected my faith values. For what I thought were good reasons, I set it aside. And it stayed aside until today! Failing to execute the plan, cost me six months of time, energy expenditures of revisiting the plan and roughly $6,000.00 in health care savings.


One last thought: “If not now, when?”


1 comment:

  1. I see a motivational book with your name on it in the future - nice blog Bro
    Mike

    ReplyDelete